Since I last posted I have transitioned to greater leadership roles, especially in church. I have been promoted (in part) at work, given more hours, and trusted with more information concerning BBQ. I have been asked to take a greater role in the interlude, while we await a new pastor. Currently, I have preached a dozen evening services and even four morning sermons. I accepted the invitation to preach a one Sunday that our supply pastor was unavailable, and that one service blossomed to more. Each time I have been complemented and given positive feedback. Many mentioned the timeliness of the message or at least that they took something from it. That is wonderful to hear...
The most interesting statement thus far came from the regional pastors' meeting that I was invited to attend. The chairman of the board at the church, invited me to their meeting, as the representative of our church; as he introduced me, he made a comment, to the other pastor, that has stuck with me, "He has been filling in for our supply pastor; he (meaning me) may have missed a calling...." So, I have been dwelling on that for some time now. As I mentioned, previously, I cannot prepare for the future, unless I trust God and listen when He gives me the opportunity to step up.
I am doing that, in many ways. Primarily by seeking out opportunities to serve my Church. This has led me to believe God is leading me to a new area of teaching: my upcoming skill of preaching. Some people have spoken to me about it, even people who don't attend my church. One lady even asked when I was starting to preach. These incidents have cause me to be more prayerfully introspective and seek where God may be directing me; so I accepted an invitation, from my cousin, to a Georgia mountain retreat. It was at this weekend, that I got to seek God more quietly and with others who were also seeking Him. Despite not knowing anyone, aside from my cousin, I was immediately accepted, helped make meals, lead them in prayer, and connected with them. We had time to read the Bible together and share our testimonies. While I did not get to share all of mine, it was during the prayers for the person who just shared that I felt some confirmation of a shift in my future direction. I am still not fully sure where I am being led beyond this year, but as they trusted me to pray with them, even though they just met me, I was able to see that my leadership is trusted. The time at the retreat pointed me to understanding my limited future, giving me time to seek God. Right now, I am trusted at my church, and will be helping the new pastor, who might be 5 years older than me, to transition from Charlotte to Rockingham. I plan to offer to continue to speak Sunday evenings for a month or two and fill in for him as necessary. As Esther was given a position at a certain time, for a certain purpose, so have I. I feel secure for the next two months.
What lies beyond is definitely uncertain, (Psalm 119:105) but God has a certain things in mind. I plan to seek Him more deeply about where He wants me to be. I have been praying about my future and finding clues that light my footpath; I have mentioned some occurrences that have pointed me to consider teaching through a calling to preach. But it is not yet clear to me where God is leading beyond the end of this year. If I do not get a teaching job via my recent applications, I know that I am surely to pursue something different, but what, where, and when that is supposed to happen. Therefore, my plan is to seek God more directly this weekend. I am going to step out in faith and Ask, Seek, and Knock with persistence and through fasting. My idea is to use Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to be in constant prayer and fast so that I can focus on what God desires for me. This action and pattern will not be easy, without any support. So, even if you don't know me, I am asking that you join with me in prayer, check in with me, send messages of encouragement, or any other way. Thanks in advance.
God has a plan; It is time for me to find out what it is. Here goes trusting...and stepping out in faith. Just listen to this song! Maybe you will be inspired to seek God also....
No comments:
Post a Comment