08 September 2013

Roxbury Review (2013)

So, I think it is finally time to work on my report about my week at Roxbury, or I might have waited too long (it has been a month since then).  Although Roxbury Holiness Camp cannot really be transferred from emotions and thoughts to quality words, I am going to give it a chance; it also should be experienced to understand the happenings more fully.  There is so much that I can write about, but I am going to find the most meaningful quotes and explain them the best I can.  I wish to share the change I felt, but you can determine my success.

Roxbury is a very special place where there has been peace and finding God for over 75 years.  The 10-day camp was started in a Dance hall and moved to a new location a few years later, as it expanded and a new site was built.  Many speakers have brought the message of God's expectation of holiness in our lives and how that can be added to the spiritual growth process and maturation.  I attended as a very small child through my teens on the two weekend Sundays, and I learned very many things in Children's camp and the Main Tabernacle. From 2008 (When I was first in the Bronx) on, I have attended on Missions Day (Wednesday) and began to go all week in 2010.  This year I had to take off work to attended, but it was well worth it.

If you have read my previous post on Prayer, you know about my experience in the prayer team, every morning and evening.  My experience there was uplifting and challenging, but the sessions and services in the Main Tab reached even deeper in my soul.  However since I cannot recount everything, I want to share the most fulfilling remembrances that positively touched my soul.



"You have heard that it was said...but I say unto you"   Jay Smith

Jay Smith is a Brethren in Christ (BiC) missionary and scholar of Islam.  He works in the United Kingdom (London) to debate and confront the Muslims at Speakers' Corner.  For over 20 years he has debunked the traditional believes of Islam as a religion of peace, and challenged many passionate followers of Allah, to follow Jesus.  He came to the United States to share new changes in the debate and ways to protect America from a negative infiltration of the Islamic ideology.

Besides his strong passion of polemics and apologetics, I was drawn to his inspirational knowledge and went daily to his sessions about defending Christianity and debunking the claims of Islam.  Yet one thing he constantly repeated, I cannot get out of my head, the quote above.  It seemed that he would repeat this premise every time he spoke.

This quote is a reference to the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5.  Jesus is speaking to the crowd, that had gathered, about the old law and the new expectations of the new law.  The old law focused on the action of sins, the new law addresses the motive of the heart.  As the sermon progresses, the heart of the matter boils down to loving and caring for others; it is not responding to sin with a native action, but instead doing good to everyone around us (almost Pay it Forward).  We as Christians are to model this approach to our interactions with others.  This includes forgiveness, especially when we cannot fathom a reason to do so.  Dwell on that for a while.


"Tarry is the archaic equivalent to 'hanging out'."  Kevin Mannoia

Dr. Mannoia  was a speaker during the final weekend, and he is the founder and chair of the Wesleyan Holiness Consortium which was founded in 2004, which aims to guide efforts and projects focused on holiness in the 21st century for pastors, unity within and among the participating churches, a holiness voice to the broader church, and the importance of holiness in the future mission of the church.  My church denomination is a member of this group.  He had many interesting thoughts and points that I firmly disagreed with, but one of the statements that I found intriguingly correct was the above quote.

His work is focused on understanding the meaning of holiness.  One thing he said was that in this modern world is it difficult for people to understand the need for holy living through the traditional means of separation from the world, and being a model of Christ.  However they do understand the importance of hanging out and spending quality time with people that are the same.  In doing so we will become a cohesive unit and strong in our relationships (in order to uplift each other and unite our gifts).  Doing so will merge our natures and over time the subtle shifts will result in change.

More importantly, We must tarry with God.  He commands us to be holy and perfect has He is (Matthew 5:48 & 1 Peter 1:13-16), and the best way to do that is to spend time with Him.  Yet, not just spend time, briefly, in devotions or at church events, but rather to linger in expectation that he will do something with our lives.  As we stay in His presence his holiness will "rub off" on us, and we will be affected by the purity and perfection of God.  Our changes will allow us to reflect God, for being in close proximity to God will cause a transformation of nature at the most fundamental level. Tarrying with God means to fully engulf oneself in desire to be where God is, and staying there with anticipation of this envelopment bringing changes.  These changes will naturally radiate from the core of your being, and make you act as He desires and give you an ear to the whispers of the Holy Spirit.  This radiation will be a direct reflection of Christ and will be a witness to others of your close relationship with God.  Each transformation will reveal more characteristics of God, and chief among them will be holiness.  Therefore, where you hang out and what you do there is highly important to your spiritual growth and witness, so tarry with God.


"Thank you for your dedication to the Prayer Team"  John Hawbaker

About the end of the week the former Camp Director, for over 30 years, thanked me for my involvement with the prayer group.  I prayed with the group every day at camp; twice per day we prayed, at 830am and 600pm.  Every night I added myself to the 24-hour prayer clock from 12-1am.  The Vision and purpose of the Prayer Team was set during the initial years of camp and has been an essential and necessary link in the inviting and welcoming of the Holy Spirit and God's blessing on the Camp.  I enjoyed every minute of the experience and learned many things about how to shift my prayer life. (Specifically integrating it more deeply in personal life...The next weeks after camp I did a prayer-fast with a friend).

One of the main lessons I learned was to pray with anticipation and in thanksgiving.  Pray with the desire to hear an answer, but not only that pray thanking God that what he desires to happen will happen.  Yes, praying includes thanksgiving normally, but this type of prayer will enhance the thanks to be all-inclusive in the communication of the prayer.  Saying "thank you God for helping me to deal with this situation..."  or "Thanks for your provisions and loving kindness in this time of need...", and meaning it, will result in a better communication with God.  It may be difficult to stay in that mindset throughout the prayer, but it is a wondrous practice.  Try it, and feel the change in the clarity of your communication with God.


"Thank you for consistently sitting in the 'Amen Corner'."  Darius Salter

I sat in the same spot for every service, first for consistency and secondly for focusing.  Sitting in the left side of the front row of the middle was a great decision.  I could interact with the face of the speakers and not be distracted by the actions of others. I could see the sincerity of the speakers and the convictions of their statements played out on their countenance. It was an excellent way to hear and interact with full focus. 

It must have been nice for the speakers as well, at least due in part to the statement above.  Additionally, the Camp Director joked that he should put my name on the spot and mark it for me.  That didn't take place, but being noticed for consistency is an encouragement to me.  Hopefully, I will continue to have this be noticed, along with other positive attributes.



"I live with no regrets."  Robert Rogers

Robert came to us from Indiana to share the story of how he did not let strategy define his life.  Rather he moved quickly to honor God for the life he had been given and what he was going to do.  His story touched many hearts, but left me wanting more.  So I got his book, Into the Deep, and a CD to keep for myself and a the same and a DVD of his testimony for a friend.  The book is more in depth, but it basically tells the same story that his testimony reveals just with more feeling and emotion, since it was written closer to the tragedy than 10 years from it.  I encourage you to look for the book, support his ministry, Mighty in the Land; and listen to his story here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRYb6ERVyI).

I was challenged by his music and his choice to live in peace and tranquility, in spite of the drastic changes that took place in his life.  His story moved me to rethink how I share emotions (again), and brought me back to writing my resolutions in January.  I know that I can turn a switch with children, but it is harder to share that with people my own age.  I need to not be overcome by the fear of sharing, but rather allow myself to share in my weakness to help and encourage others.  However, I know that without the strength of God, that is not easy.  It is something I must do, if I am going to learn from mistakes and move on.  God knows and I must trust Him to be the King of my life.


"I pray that his boldness and passion will be strengthened by you...God"  Hannah Murray 


My Faith has officially been restored in the future of the church, basically anyway. (I am still some concerned.)  Saturday night of camp, Darius Salter spoke of being dynamic and potent for Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit (Zechariah 4:6 ), and remembering to rely on God for our boldness and "ferocious fearlessness" to share his gospel.  We must allow the Holy Spirit to flow out of us and through us, which is something I felt in my recent prayer-fast.  His sermon was powerful enough to bring people to the alter in far greater masses than the healing service, with many coming to dedicate their lives to Christ, fully.  I sat in my "amen corner" and prayed for theses people, hoping that many would hear God's voice for the direction of their lives.  It was a joy to pray for them all, and a culmination of my work with the Prayer Team that week.  I was happy with that, but as we finished the evening I felt a tap on my shoulder that changed my evening.

The Teens usually sit right behind me, and this evening service was no different.  Except for the fact that one chose to interact with me, but asking to pray for me.  I don't remember what she said prompted her to pray, but God did for sure.  When I agreed, Hannah Murray came around, sat beside me, and just started praying for me.  It was astounding that all the words she spoke, they were things I had been praying about, only half-heartedly, but praying for nonetheless. She said she observed me, and thought I needed prayer, and what she asked for was more than I bargained for. She asked for a specific request, but I was too embarrassed to tell her a real request (stupidly).  Hannah had faith that was outstanding, and it showed with her willingness to pray with someone else later, after everyone had departed the Main Tabernacle.  That prayer was the biggest challenge and sweetest memory from Roxbury.  I had learned a lot from the speakers and gleaned many insights from the Scriptures and Prayer meetings, but this prayer for me was amazing.

I had the fortune of meeting her in the lunch line the next day, and she chatted with me throughout lunch and even a little after (sadly she was leaving before my family arrived).  We developed a connection enough, that I offered to pray for her and her future as well.  I am glad to have had that experience, because I had been communicating with another friend about joining together in prayer for certain requests that seemed far off and unanswered.  This chance to have been randomly prayed for showed me that God has not forgotten my requests, He is just waiting for me to grow.  I know that I did not doubt much, but some parts of my life are more empty than I readily admit.  The prayer from Hannah, helped me to realize this, even more deeply than I would have by just hearing the Word of God from the speakers.  Thanks Hannah, maybe I will see you again.



So that is my summary of Roxbury Holiness Camp.  I really hope that you enjoyed it and that some of the insights that I gathered will have a positive effect on your life.  I am already looking forward for next year and learning that I am made for God's love.  I want to take others, and I want to share with them the joy of life that can be found at Roxbury, while abiding with God. God has his arms open wide, let Him take you in.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment